The Free Public Library of Hasbrouck Heights is concerned for the safety and well-being of children left unattended in the library.
We urge parents to remember that the library is a public building and it is not in any child’s best interest to be left here unattended. The library has implemented the following policy for the safety of all children visiting the library.
- Children under the age of seven years must be accompanied by an adult caregiver (age 13 or over) at all times while in the library.
- Children aged seven through twelve may be left in the library without an adult for reasonable periods of time, but parents are responsible for their behavior and will be contacted if necessary. (Reasonable periods of time may vary with a child’s maturity, but generally one to two hours (is) shall be considered acceptable.)
- Children thirteen and over may be in the library without an adult. However, should disciplinary problems arise; the library may ask the child to leave. In the event that such child does not comply, the Police Department will be requested to assist. In that event, the library assumes no further responsibility for the child.
- If problems arise while younger children are using the library or if they are left alone, the library staff will attempt to contact the parents. If the library staff is unable to reach the parents, the Police Department will be requested to assist.
- Parents are required to be at the library no later than fifteen minutes before closing to pick up children. If, after 15 minutes, the child is still left unattended, the Police Department will be called to assist.
- Under no circumstances will the library assume custodial responsibility for any child left unattended.
- An unattended child is any child under the age of seven who is in the library unaccompanied by a parent or responsible caregiver (age thirteen or over).
- Parents and/or guardians, not library staff, are responsible for the behavior of their children using the library and their respective parents and/or guardians may be held liable for any damage they cause.